Saturday, January 29, 2011

This morning was beautiful. Still cold, but warm enough that the snow was melting and the streets were wet. The sun was out, and the sky was blue and streaked with clouds. There was something in that sky that contained just the smallest hint of the promise of spring. As I drove down a gravel country road to clean for an elderly lady, the houses, the snow, the sunshine all melted into a beautiful feeling that sank right through me into my cold bones and warmed them with joy and longing for God. Strange how a few ordinary things can come together and momentarily transform your soul, your heart, your mind. And now, after so many hours have elapsed between me and my beautiful morning, I still long to hang on to the momentary transformation it gave me. I feel the need to grasp it, breathe in it's freshness. It's hard to hold onto transfiguring beauty in the everyday grime and commonplacities of life. And after my moment where everything seemed so clear and right, the road again seems dim and confusing. And there is danger, like so many times before, that being unsure, I will not dare to put one foot in front of the other.

"And indeed there will be time
To wonder, 'Do I dare?' and, 'Do I dare?'"

No comments:

Post a Comment