Sunday, January 9, 2011

Easy and Delicious.

We tend to eat a lot of salads. Ben doesn't like vegetables very much, but he does like salad and I love it. We enjoy simple salads, usually just romaine lettuce and tomato. Sometimes I grill chicken on the George Foreman, and the salad is our meal. Recently I've made a simple and tasty addition to our salad eating experiences. Homemade Croutons! They are so easy and they taste so good. I'm not a big fan of the hard, store bought kind, but these are great. Ben loves them. I wasn't expecting much of a reaction the first time I made them, but he liked them so much that I've made them several times, and every time he always asks if there are more than I put on his salad. Here's how to make them.

Buy a loaf of bread from your grocery store's bakery. I like the Italian loaf at the Walmart bakery, but you can use French bread just as easily. If you can find a wheat French loaf, that makes really delicious croutons. Slice the bread at desired thickness, and then cube the slices. Make whatever size croutons you like, and the nice thing about the loaf is you can make as many or little as you need.

Put cubes in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle whatever seasoning you like. I use a Greek seasoning blend. Toss with your hands or a spoon until all your cubes are coated. Add more oil and seasoning as needed.

Pour cubes onto a cookie sheet (I cover mine in foil for easy clean up). I usually give a last sprinkling of the seasoning when they are spread out. Bake at 400 degrees for 5-7 minutes until they start to brown and get crispy. It's as easy as that! They will make your salad delicious, and you will probably never want to eat the store bought kind again.

1 comment:

  1. These croutons sound great! I'm definitely going to try them- thanks!

    ReplyDelete