Monday, August 15, 2011

Coffee Cake

I inherited this old Betty Crocker cook book that has been in my family for...a while. I'm not sure how long. It is the First Edition Betty Crocker's Picture Cook Book copyright 1950! It's from the fifth printing of it, so I'm not sure how old my copy is.



It's a little dated in some ways, but it has some great recipes. One of my favorites is Streusel Coffee Cake. It's easy, delicious and is always a huge hit. Every time I make it, people rave about it.

The Recipe:

For the Cake

Mix
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup soft shortening (I use one stick of butter)
1 egg

Stir in
1/2 cup milk

Sift (I don't have a sifter so I just mix them with a fork in a separate bowl) together and stir in
1 1/2 cup flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

For the Streusel filling:

Mix together
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp flour
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbs butter, melted
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I actually have never put nuts in mine. I'm not sure if I would like it.)

Pour half the batter into a greased 9 inch square pan. Sprinkle streusel filling. Spread the rest of the batter over filling (this can be a little tricky, and usually doesn't look perfect). Sprinkle rest of of streusel on top. Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 25 to 35 min. I never time things in my oven because it cooks fast, so I just check it.

This doubles really well. I usually double it because I'm usually making it for a bigger crowd, and seconds are often desired.



Next time you have a coffee cake type occasion, try it!

*Edit: I use one stick of butter when I double it. If you aren't doubling you would only use half a stick.

No comments:

Post a Comment