Sunday, March 6, 2011

Happy Home

Ben and I are *planning* on waiting to have children until he is finished with school. I also want to wait until I have completed my doula certification, because it would really hard to do while pregnant/being a new mom. Sometimes my motherly instincts overwhelm me, and I long to have children. To see the beautiful face of our (future) baby. To hug my own sweet little child close. When I think about having kids with Ben, one of the things that brings me joy is that I will be able to raise children in a happy home. I did not grow up in a happy home. I grew up in tension filled powder keg of emotions. I grew up never knowing when my brother or I would get in trouble, or what it would be that would set my dad off. I grew up knowing my parents weren't in love. I grew up with things that children should not be exposed to. I don't have a lot of happy childhood memories. I actually don't have a lot of childhood memories at all. I think I blocked or intentionally forgot things. I have mourned my lost childhood and moved on from it. But I think part of the redemption process for me will be giving my kids what I didn't experience. A childhood of good memories. Parents who love each other. A safe home. I know Ben is going to be a great dad. I hope and pray I will be a good mother.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel! Not that you need reassurance, but when I think of people who will be good mothers... i think of you in that list! This is one of the same reasons Jammie was so eager to start having a family. He wanted to do it differently, to have a home of God's love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jessie! I know you will be wonderful mother too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, Rach, you will be a great mom. I think if anything, your relationship with your mom has been influential for you. You guys are pretty close. Even if you didn't grow up in a happy home, you know what one looks like...and you love God and so does Ben. You are already on the right path. I'm excited for the both of us whenever motherhood arrives. I'm glad I've gotten to share so many life experiences with you! <3

    ReplyDelete