Sunday, February 20, 2011

Nice Weekend.

This weekend started out with going to see my friend Sara who was visiting from St.Louis. I went to a lifegroup that she was going to on Friday, and I figured it was going to be kind of awkward, but it actually turned out to be really fun and refreshing. It was really nice to see Sara, and I got to sit and talk with some ladies, some of whom I didn't know very well. We talked about what happened in our week and prayed for each other. And I found out my friend Molly was pregnant. I got to talk a little bit about being a doula, and she asked me to be hers! It was so exciting. And it was nice to talk to people who thought having a doula sounded awesome. They said some things that I would have said to defend/explain the purpose and usefulness of a doula, and it was awesome to hear that from other people. It can be discouraging when people say, "why would you need that?" or "isn't that what a husband is for?" These ladies just got it.

Then on Saturday I went to a ladies tea, and it was also encouraging and refreshing, and a lot of fun! I made scones, citrus curd, and cucumber sandwiches. It was my first time to make all those things, and they all turned out great! All my sandwiches got eaten and a good dent was made in my scones. I always feel good when people eat my food :) It was kind of stressful before the tea, because I had a slight disaster with my citrus curd (apparently your eggs need to be at room temp, and my recipe failed to mention this), I ran shorter on time than I thought, and my friend/neighbor who was supposed to go with me got a nail in her tire and had to get it repaired. But once we got to the tea, things were a lot better. We ate a lot of delicious food, played a pretty hilarious game, and I even won a prize! The "theme" of the tea was shoes, and I got the second most votes for having the best shoes. I won this really cute teacup tea light holder that was on our table.





Corey and I had actually been admiring it when we sat down, so I was really happy I won it! One of my friends gave an encouraging devotion about not comparing your "shoes" with other people. Basically, it was about being content and even excited about being yourself, and not comparing yourself with or criticizing others.

The major bummer of the weekend is laundry. I don't really mind doing laundry, but I have to go to the laundromat to do it and I hate it. I hate having to get my tons of laundry there and back again (especially since our apartment has a lot of stairs), and most of time I have to do it by myself because it's hard to find a good time for Ben to go with me. And they allow smoking in the laundromat. This is something I will never understand. Why allow smoking in a place where people are trying to get their clothes clean? Granted, my clean laundry never ends up smelling like smoke, I guess because I just leave once they are clean and dry. But whatever I am wearing and pretty much my whole person does smell like smoke. Gross. I need to do it today, but I really, really don't want to!

But tonight dinner is going to be homemade broccoli and cheese soup, salad with grilled chicken and homemade croutons! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment